Tuesday, July 8, 2008

The Defeat of the Horrible Tremendous Mountain...

This year on the fourth of July Mother decided to take my two brothers and I for a refreshing hike in the mountains. Father could not come because only the night before he had injured his leg from jumping on the trampoline with Peter. We drove up Little Cottonwood Canyon at roughly 12:00 and reached our destination at 12:30. To Mother’s dismay the Albion Basin was not open for another two weeks. Instead of turning back we decided to take a different hike. We began by following a trail that was parallel to a running creek. As we got further along the trail we started getting to some snowy areas. The trail popped in and out because of the thick snow but we could see hikers ahead of us so we did not worry about getting lost. Most of the time we followed a ski lift, which seemed to go on forever. The area was SO green and beautiful. At one point in our journey some hikers stopped us and asked if we knew our way to Cecret Lake. We did not know that we had been following that trail but they gave us directions. The trail got really snowy so we decided to go to a more rocky area that would not be as slippery. That was not such a good plan. It was difficult but we kept moving. By the end we had basically hiked the entire mountain. It was the hardest hike I think I have ever been on, but it was totally worth it. Peter did so great and I was surprised that his little legs took him so far. I don’t think I can remember him complaining once. By the time we finished it was 4:00 in the afternoon. I had such a great time with my brothers and mom that day. My goal is to go a lot more hikes this summer!
draft

4 comments:

Derek said...

That's awesome Ellie! It sounds like a really fun hike, hiking is the best!

Brad said...

yay! I didn't know you guys liked to hike up at Alta! Haha, I was just skiing up there about two weeks ago, I am suprised you were able to hike with the snow and all...

Audrey said...

You should try going to cecret lake again once the snow is all gone, it is an awesome hike and the lake is really pretty once you get there!

Ellie.Wellie said...

Hey Audrey!!!! It is great to hear from you! Yeah I totally want to make it up to cecret lake. We were so close... oh well I still have half of a summer!