Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Bye Bye Betty...

Last Thursday a tragic and almost fatal accident occurred. I was driving up to the university where I dance each Monday and Thursday and Betty (aka my 1977 Mercedes) broke down. It was actually a very nerve-racking experience. I was traveling up Wasatch Blvd. and I had just passed the Fort Douglas UTA trax stop. The train was halted and I needed to pass through the upcoming intersection. The light was green so I began to pass through and right as a got on the tracks my car went "ka kink" and completely stopped. The train bells started to ring and I could hear the train starting up. I prayed to my Heavenly Father that I would be okay and right as I said "amen" my car rolled forward into a section off of the road where my bumper passed the tracks about six feet and I was safe. I credit all work to my Father in Heaven. My mom was luckily just down the street and I gave her a call and she gave the towing company a call.
Tonight my mom called our most beloved mechanic Dick and he didn't have very good news... He said that the repair would cost at least $3,000-4,000 and later repairs could make it cost even more. He personally thought that it wasn't worth it and since it is winter my parents didn't think it was either.
I will miss you dearly Betty... inside of your strong steel frame I had so many memorable experiences from long talks to close friends, to old-school nights with Miss Alyss, protecting me from old freaking men and their whistles directed at me, to chinese fire drills, and of course singing to my old hippy songs.
I won't ever forget your huge steering wheel, or you thermostat with a million and five switches, or the random red light on your dash that said "cliff alarm" (I still don't know what that means so I just guess you would protect me if I ever fell off of a cliff), or your buzzing speakers, or your comfy leather seats, or your unpredictable locks, or you gigantic hood... Let's just sum it up in a few heartfelt words... Betty your place in the garage will never be perfectly replaced again! Enjoy car heaven! I hope to visit you there some day!

R.I.P. Betty!

Picture from: http://www.azcarsandtrucks.com/classicmbenhead2.jpg

3 comments:

wendy forrest said...

I would call that a"Father in Heaven Story"! Love andrew's mom

Jeffrey Bennett said...

Wow... if anybody had any doubts about our Father in Heaven watching out for his children, this story should put the doubts to rest!

Ellie.Wellie said...

I know it! That's a story that is surely going in my journal.