Tuesday, January 20, 2009

The Perfect Day...

Sunday night my great friend Miss Alyss texted me to inform me that it was my future but late husband's birthday! "Oh Cary! My Cary! I am sorry but I wasn't aware of this important date!" Yes... it is true... Cary Grant is just growing up so fast. We also found that it was the famous Audrey Hepburn's date of death 2 days later. So to celebrate both of their lives, Miss Alyss and I thought that it would be most appropriate if we gave tribute to them for a whole day. Early yesterday morning she called me up and we made plans to dress up in our best and most retro vintage clothing. We pulled out scarfs and trench coats, skinny jeans, flats, brooches, button-down shirts, curling irons, and our red red lipsticks. We got all spiffed up and made our way into town.






We started at a store called "Decades" downtown that had the most amazing vintage pieces. We hid in corners and tried on hats and coats. I then fell in love with a dress that I would give anything for to wear to a formal dance... but of course it wasn't for sale. We were there for almost two hours! Alyssa bought a scarf and then we were on our way.

Next we stopped at presh Konisi's house to say hi. He was a tease the whole time but Alyssa and I both agreed that he was a very agreeable and humorous young man to be around.









We then made our way to "Denny's," a perfect diner setting, where we ate dinner together and then feasted on a strawberry milkshake for desert. We thought this to be fitting as we spent our day fixed in the 50's. Then we went to pick up a perfect movie to finish up the night. I bought my favorite, "An Affair to Remember," and Alyssa bought "Breakfast at Tiffany's." We enthusiastically watched "An Affair to Remember," in Alyssa's basement where we also painted our nails a deep red. We thought that this would be fitting because all proper women in the 50's always had their nails done.

After the movie we dedicated the last 45 minutes together by researching Cary's and Audrey's lives and we both learned some very interesting facts:




Cary
1) Cary's real name is Archibald Alexander Leach
2) His mom was taken to a mental institution when he was just nine and at 14 he ran away to become a comedian in a traveling show
3) He never played the villian in a story and often played the handsome bachelor







Audrey
1)Audrey's birthname was Audrey Kathleen Ruston
2)In movies always appeared as the "delicate adolesent"
3)My favorite quote by her: "Remember, if you ever need a helping hand, it's at the end of your arm. As you get older, remember you have another hand: the first is to help yourself, the second is to help others."


























1 comment:

wendy forrest said...

Loved "Breakfast at Tiffany's! It started a tradition with my sister of spending the day doing things we had never done.